How much do you know about furnaces and furnace repair?
Furnaces are just one of those things not a lot of people know a lot about. Even do-it-yourself enthusiasts will often stay away from the furnace, with the exception of some basic troubleshooting. But as a homeowner, it’s good to have some general info on the things that keep your house running, like your furnace, and to understand some of the basics when it comes to repair.
So without further ado, here is an insider’s guide:
All automatic heating systems start when the thermostat senses a difference between the temperature in the room and the temperature set on the thermostat. The air in the furnace is heated and then blown through the venting system and released into the rooms in your home. When the room temperature matches the set point, the furnace turns off.
Furnace Repair Basics
You don’t need to be an expert to do some basic furnace repair through some simple troubleshooting steps. Here are a few tips:
- No warm air? Check the filter. If the filter is dirty and clogged, warm air can’t get through.
- No air blowing out through the vents? Check the thermostat to see if it’s set properly.
- Still no air blowing? Check the power to the breaker; make sure it isn’t a tripped fuse. If it’s a gas furnace, be sure the valve is set to “open” and the pilot light is on.
- Does your furnace turn on and off frequently? Check the belt tension, as it could be too loose. Also check to be sure the blower motor oil ports are lubricated.
- Loud noises from the furnace? It could be dirty gas burners, a misaligned pilot light, or a slipping blower belt.
Understanding the basics of furnace functioning is important for any homeowner, but when it comes to repairs, aside from some basic troubleshooting, it’s best to leave it to the professionals. They come with experience, training, certification, and they guarantee their work.
If you start noticing anything amiss with how your heating system is functioning, contact Helms Heating and Air Conditioning. Also, check out our current promotions!